Three additional grass parking locations in close proximity to Houchens Industries – L.T. Smith Stadium have been made available for the 2011 football season, WKU Athletics announced today.
The additional locations are located along College Heights Boulevard and will add additional parking spaces on the grass in the heart of campus. The parking spaces may be secured for $20 on a per game basis upon entry to the lots. There is no pre-purchase available in these lots; they are available day of game only – first come first serve. The money collected will be used to employ security and staff to operate and maintain these areas in a fan friendly environment. WKU will reserve the right to close the grass parking locations in case of inclement weather. These parking lots will open six and a half hours prior to each home game.
“We place a high premium on fan feedback, and our fans wanted us to create additional grass parking back in the center of campus,” Director of Athletics Ross Bjork said. “Athletic department and university administration conducted a cooperative analysis and review of our game day parking and tailgating features, and we are pleased to be able to provide additional grass parking locations so close to our stadium. This will enhance our game day atmosphere and fan experience at WKU football games and benefit all students and fans by giving them the capability to park vehicles and tailgate on the grass. This tailgating program is meant to be safe for all patrons so everyone can enjoy football Saturdays and the great action inside Houchens-Smith Stadium.”
The grass parking locations available on a per game basis are in addition to the two seasonal grass parking locations that were made available last season. The two seasonal grass parking areas, located on College Heights Boulevard and University Boulevard, contain close to 150 parking spots, cost $100 for the entire season, and are also available to the general public and WKU students. To purchase seasonal grass parking, call the Hilltopper Athletic Foundation at (270) 745-2468 or e-mail Elizabeth Leftwich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A detailed map of all game day picnic, tailgating and parking areas is available on wkusports.com (https://admin.xosn.com/fls/5400//FB%20Tailgaiting%20Map%202011.pdf).
These additional reserved grass parking spaces, the designated student tailgating and picnic area, and approximately 4,500 free parking spaces highlight student and fan friendly features for 2011 football game days.
Tickets remain for WKU’s season opener against Kentucky at L.P. Field in Nashville on Sept. 1 with prices ranging from $28-$63. Season and single-game tickets for all other WKU home games are also on sale now. Prices are $15 for reserved bleacher seats, and general admission adult seats are $12 while general admission youth tickets (anyone 12 and under) are $6. Groups of 10 or more may purchase reserved or general admission tickets for $6 each. For more information, to order season or single-game tickets, or to order tickets for available away games please call 1-800-5-BIG RED or visit wkusports.com.
2011 Season Ticket Location and Prices:
ADDITIONAL 2011 TAILGATING AND PARKING FEATURES
- “Topperville,” the large on campus area adjacent to College Heights Boulevard, remains as a reserved student-only tailgating and picnic area. Students may begin parking in this area at 6:00 p.m. on Friday on a first come-first serve basis. This area will close 30 min. prior to kickoff.
- Fans can experience Topper Walk two hours and 30 minutes prior to kickoff across from DUC and South Lawn to cheer on the entire WKU football team along with the cheerleaders, Topperettes, marching band and Big Red as they make their way into Houchens Industries – L.T. Smith Stadium.
- The Parking Structure 1 Garage located on the north side of Diddle Arena remains admissible on game day free of charge. This provides approximately 500 covered free parking spaces and is part of over 4,500 free paved parking spaces available throughout campus for fans attending football games.
- The WKU campus now offers over 30 areas designated specifically for tailgating and picnicking, all located less than half a mile from Houchens Industries - L.T. Smith Stadium.
- Those utilizing the lawns on game day may set up tents six hours and 30 minutes prior to kickoff, and all lots will be closed 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Pop up tents, grills, and coolers are permissible. Loading and unloading zones are located throughout campus and available on a temporary basis for those wishing to unload items and tailgate on the lawns where parking is not permitted. No pets will be allowed in tailgating areas, and security in these areas will monitor alcohol consumption.
- Topper Town, which features inflatables, a kids play area and activities for children of all ages, will open three hours prior to kickoff and is free for the entire family. Topper Town is located in South Lawn.