July 23, 2002
Bowling Green, Ky. - Western Kentucky University athletics' "Toppers on Tour" gets underway tomorrow (Wednesday, July 24) evening with a short trip up Interstate 65 to visit with Hilltopper fans in Elizabethtown.
The annual ten-city tour will make its first stop at Freeman Lake Park in E'town Wednesday evening from 6-8 p.m. (EDT).
The event, scheduled in conjunction with Western's Heartland Alumni Chapter "Welcome Western" picnic, is free of charge and open to all WKU alumni, students, parents and Hilltopper fans.
Featured guests include Hilltopper Head Football Coach Jack Harbaugh, Lady Topper Head Basketball Coach Mary Taylor Cowles and the "Voice of the Hilltoppers", Western football and men's basketball play-by-play broadcaster Mike Legg. In addition, Topper fans will get an opportunity to meet Hilltopper football All-America offensive lineman Chris Price, a senior from Indianapolis, and linebacker Jon Drummond, a senior from Miami, Fla., who is a returning All-Gateway Football Conference honorable mention selection.
Following the picnic, Coaches Harbaugh and Cowles will preview their teams' prospects for the upcoming season.
A variety of information on Hilltopper athletics will be available, including an update on the E.A. Diddle Arena Renovation Project. And, there will be door prizes, including WKU game tickets.
The activity is co-sponsored by the WKU Alumni Association and the Hilltopper Athletic Foundation.
"Toppers on Tour" resumes next week and will make nine additional stops, bringing different members of the Hilltopper athletic family to other communities in the area. Those future dates are:
* Paducah (Aug. 1, 6:30 p.m, at the Whaler's Catch)
* Hopkinsville (Aug. 2, noon, at the Holiday Inn)
* Muhlenberg County (Aug. 2, 7 p.m., at Muhlenberg North High School, Commons Area)
* Louisville (Aug. 5, 5:30 p.m., at Indian Springs Golf Club, follows annual Lee Robertson Golf Scramble)
* Glasgow (Aug. 19, 6:30 p.m., at the Tumbleweed Southwest Grill)
* Russellville (Aug. 20, 6:30 p.m., at Roy's Bar-B-Que)
* Franklin (Aug. 22, noon, at the Sly Fox Restaurant at Kentucky Downs)
* Nashville (Aug. 22, 7 p.m., a part of WKU Night with the Nashville Sounds) - This event also has a 6 p.m. picnic that requires an RSVP with the Alumni Association at 1-888-WKU-ALUM.
* Owensboro (Aug. 23, 6 p.m., as a part of the community's "Fridays at Five" activity).
For more information on "Toppers on Tour", contact the WKU Alumni Association at 1-888-WKU-ALUM.