Feb. 15, 2002
Bowling Green, Ky. - A total of 23 Western Kentucky University student-athletes recorded perfect 4.0 grade point averages during the 2001 fall semester.
And, another 124 Hilltopper athletes completed the semester with classwork graded at 3.0-or-better. Overall, 41.9 percent of Western's 351 varsity athletes, representing all 20 Hilltopper sports, posted GPAs of 3.0-or-better in the fall.
Leading the way were five women's teams - golf, soccer, swimming, tennis and volleyball - which each had a combined team grade point average of 3.0 last semester. Overall, 62 percent of Western's women athletes notched a 3.0-or-better in the fall.
And, the Lady Topper volleyball continued its exceptional work in the classroom, maintaining its cumulative GPA of 3.0-plus.
The 23 WKU athletes who had those perfect 4.0 performances last fall were:
* Leslie Adams, Golf / Freshman / Greenville, Ky. (Muhlenberg South High School)
* Andy Baldwin, Baseball / Sophomore / Campbellsville, Ky. (Taylor County High School)
* Marilyn Bungo, Golf / Junior / Warren, Ohio (Howland High School)
* John Campbell, Cross-Country/Track / Freshman / Hendersonville, Tenn. (Hendersonville High School)
* Brandi (Beckwith) Carey, Swimming / Senior / Lexington, Ky. (Christian High School)
* Cheyenne Carmack, Cross-Country/Track / Freshman / Brodhead, Ky. (Rockcastle County High School)
* J.C. Faircloth, Baseball / Freshman / Jacksonville, Fla. (Wolfson High School)
* Brian Lowder, Football / Junior / Bowling Green, Ky. (Bowling Green High School)
* David Lower, Baseball / Junior / Alexandria, Ind. (Culver Academy)
* Angela Mantlo, Golf / Freshman / Franklin, Ky. (Franklin-Simpson High School)
* Caleb McCain, Cross-Country/Track / Freshman / Milton, Tenn. (Oakland High School)
* Cara Nichols, Cross-Country/Track / Freshman / Bowling Green, Ky. (Bowling Green High School)
* Janette Pike, Cross-Country/Track / Senior / Vine Grove, Ky. (Meade County High School)
* Brian Polson, Baseball / Senior / Louisville, Ky. (Trinity High School)
* Natalie Powers, Basketball / Senior / Owensboro, Ky. (Apollo High School)
* Melissa Robinson, Soccer / Freshman / Maumelle, Ark. (Little Rock Central High School)
* Jill Shannon, Cross-Country/Track / Freshman / Belfast, Northern Ireland (Belfast Royal Academy)
* Brooks Sketo, Baseball / Freshman / Shepherdsville, Ky. (Bullitt Central High School)
* Kristalyn Smith, Softball / Junior / Portage, Mich. (Northern High School)
* Brandon Thompson, Soccer / Senior / Owensboro, Ky. (Daviess County High School)
* Chris Tinius, Soccer / Sophomore / Bowling Green, Ky. (Bowling Green High School)
* Holly Wilder, Cross-Country/Track / Senior / London, Ky. (Laurel County High School)
* Lori Willard, Soccer / Freshman / Skiatook, Okla. (Skiatook High School)