With all university students set to return to the classroom with the opening of the second semester on Monday, WKU’s student-athletes head into the first day with tremendous academic momentum following an outstanding first semester of the 2011-12 year. In fact, 213 of WKU’s 387 student-athletes (55%) now have a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average and 11 of the university’s 15 athletic programs now have a cumulative team GPA of 3.0 or better.
In the recently completed first semester, 145 student-athletes (37%) had a grade point average of 3.4 or higher and earned recognition on the Dean’s List or President’s List, and at least one student-athlete from each of WKU’s 15 sport programs made either the Dean’s or President’s List. A total of 227 student-athletes (59%) posted a semester GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Following the first semester, the overall average cumulative GPA for all 387 student-athletes is now 3.04.
OTHER WKU STUDENT-ATHLETE ACADEMIC HIGHLIGHTS
- WKU has had more individuals honored for their academic achievements by the Sun Belt Conference than any other league institution in each of the last six years
- Every men’s and women’s athletic team at WKU currently exceeds the NCAA required 925 Academic Progress Report Rate (APR).
- Since 2000, 85% of WKU student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility have graduated.
- WKU student-athletes in the university’s 19 sports are majoring in 76 different programs.
- WKU has had more individuals honored by the Sun Belt Conference academically than any other institution in each of the last six years.
- For the 2001-02 through 2004-05 classes most recently measured by the NCAA, WKU’s federal graduation rate of 60% for student-athletes trailed only Denver and North Texas in the Sun Belt Conference and also exceeded the 49% federal graduation rate posted by all WKU students.