BOWLING GREEN, Ky.-The No. 24 Western Kentucky University volleyball team (14-3) will look to defends its Sun Belt Conference titles this weekend, as the Lady Toppers begin conference play by welcoming Troy (9-6) on Friday, September 21 at 7 p.m. before facing South Alabama (7-7) on Saturday, September 22 at 1 p.m. at E.A. Diddle Arena.
WKU enters the weekend on a six-game winning streak, dating back to its 3-0 win over IUPUI through Tuesday's night three-set victory at Belmont. Last season, WKU went 15-1 during the conference schedule on its way to the regular season and tournament titles while making it into the NCAA Tournament.
- WKU vs. Troy; Friday, September 21 at 7:00 p.m.; Bowling Green, Ky.
- WKU vs. South Alabama; Saturday, September 22 at 1:00 p.m.; Bowling Green, Ky.
- Live stats will be available at WKU's athletics site, WKUSports.com
Friday, September 21 vs. Troy
- Hilltopper Athletic Foundation Night - All HAF members will receive one complimentary ticket to both of the above games when they show their HAF membership card at Entrance 2 before the match. For more information, please call Thomas Harris at 270-745-6048.
- Toga Night - Fans are encouraged to come in their finest toga attire, as prizes will be given away in between sets two and three.
Saturday, September 22 vs. South
- WKU Spirit Contest - Admission is free, and a $50 gift card will be given to the WKU Store to the person who has the best/craziest WKU Spirit costume.
- Tuesday's match with Belmont marked WKU head coach Travis Hudson's 600th match coached. In the Sun Belt, Hudson ranks fifth for overall career matches while he is second for matches at a Sun Belt school behind UALR's Van Compton who has coached 641 matches for the Trojans.
- Under Hudson, WKU is 15-2 in SBC openers, including an 8-1 record when at home. The last time Hudson lost a conference opener at home was in 1995, Hudson's first season, to Louisiana Tech. WKU's last loss in a league debut came at MTSU in 2009.
- The Lady Toppers have swept Troy in every match the teams have played except one. WKU has only lost one set against Troy, a 3-1 win in 2007. WKU has grabbed 24-straight wins against South Alabama, including three-set sweeps in the last 18 matches. The Lady Toppers' last loss to the Jaguars came in 1995.
- Senior Jordyn Skinner and junior Ashley Potts were named SBC Player of the Week and Defensive Player of the Week, respectively, after their performances against Lipscomb and at the Coke/Michigan Invitational. It is the third time that each has earned a weekly honor from the league office, as the pair earned the award twice last season. Last week, redshirt junior Paige Wessel was named SBC Player of the Week.
- Junior Melanie Stutsman was recognized by Collegiate Volleyball Update as the CVU.com National Player of the Week for her efforts against Lipscomb and at the Coke/Michigan Invitational. Last week, Stutsman posted 178 assists, including a season-high 54 against No. 22 Michigan, 26 kills and 24 digs while hitting at a .411 mark.
- Senior Jordyn Skinner didn't record a single attack error against the Bruins on Tuesday night. It marked the fifth time in her career to not post an error, as she has also gone errorless against Austin Peay (2012), FAU (2010), UALR (2009) and Troy (2009).