BOWLING GREEN, Ky.-With two wins under its belt, the Western Kentucky University volleyball team (2-2) travels to Charlottesville, Va., this weekend to compete in the Holiday Inn Jefferson Cup. WKU will take on host Virginia (1-2) in its home opener Friday night before finishing up the tournament with Delaware (0-2) and Lehigh (1-0) on Saturday.
The Lady Toppers are coming off of a convincing 3-0 win on Tuesday night against Austin Peay, as the team put up powerful offensive numbers. WKU totaled six players hitting .500 or more on its way to a team hitting percentage of .407 after putting down 44 kills compared to the Lady Govs' 24. Freshmen Noelle Langenkamp and Haley Bodway both hit .667 for the match while senior Jordyn Skinner and sophomore Heather Boyan collected eight kills each.
- WKU vs. Virginia; Friday, August 31 at 6:00 p.m. CT; Charlottesville, Va.
- WKU vs. Delaware; Saturday, September 1 at 10:00 a.m. CT; Charlottesville, Va.
- WKU vs. Lehigh; Saturday, September 1 at 4:00 p.m. CT; Charlottesville, Va.
- Live stats will be available for all games through Virginia's athletics site, virginiasports.com, or by clicking any of the links below for the respective game.
- The Lady Toppers defeated Austin Peay in their home opener Tuesday night, as WKU has now won 24-straight sets over the Lady Govs, dating back to 2000 where WKU lost set one but won the next three.
- WKU opened the season at the Active Ankle Challenge in Louisville last weekend by going 1-2. The last time the Lady Toppers started a season 1-2 was in 2010, losing the first two games against Purdue and No. 24 Northern Iowa before defeating Central Michigan. The team later finished with a 27-9 record and a NCAA Tournament appearance.
- Four returners have made new career high marks over the past four games. Senior Sarah Rogers had five attacks vs. Penn State while sophomore Heather Boyan had 23 attacks against Louisville. Junior Lindsay Spears posted four blocks vs. Morehead State while senior Jordyn Skinner set 23 digs against the Cardinals and a .571 hitting percentage vs. Austin Peay.
- The 2012 freshmen class has been contributing early to the team. Haley Bodway leads the team in hitting percentage with a .385 mark after posting 11 kills on 26 attempts with one error. Noelle Langenkamp has put down 13 kills while nabbing four blocks. Rachel Engle is the only freshmen to play in all 13 sets of the season, as she collected her first service ace against Austin Peay along with 15 digs this season.
- This weekend may bring flashbacks of 2002 for head coach Travis Hudson, as that is the last time WKU played Delaware and Virginia. The Lady Toppers took 3-1 victories over both teams, facing Delaware at the Mortar Board Invitational in West Lafayette, Ind., and Virginia at the Dayton Flyer Classic in Dayton, Ohio.
- The WKU program is 13 wins away from 700 all-time wins with the team record currently at 687-453. WKU is on pace to reach it, as it has had 12-straight season with 24 or more wins.