BOWLING GREEN, Ky.-Home is where the heart is, and the Western Kentucky University volleyball team (1-2) is ready to give it its all in its home opener on Tuesday, August 28 against Austin Peay (1-3) at 7 p.m.
The team is coming off of a weekend playing two nationally-recognized teams in No. 3 Penn State and No. 31 Louisville plus another 2011 NCAA Tournament team in Morehead State. After two tough opening matches, the team earned its first win of the 2012 season against the Eagles by also posting its first 3-0 sweep of the season.
- Austin Peay vs. WKU; Tuesday, August 28 at 7 p.m.; Bowling Green, Ky.
- Live stats will be available through WKUSports.com
- Live online broadcasts available by subscription on Big Red Zone through WKUSports.com. For more information or to order, visit WKUSports.tv.
- WKU Volleyball Campers - All WKU Volleyball camp participants will receive one complimentary ticket and can purchase unlimited $3 tickets to this match. Call Thomas Harris at 270- 745-6048 for more information.
- Warren County Youth League Night - All Warren County Youth Volleyball League players will receive one complimentary ticket and can purchase unlimited $3 tickets for friends and family. Call Thomas Harris at 270-745-6048 for more information.
- WKU opened the season at the Active Ankle Challenge in Louisville last weekend by going 1-2. The last time the Lady Toppers started a season 1-2 was in 2010, losing the first two games against Purdue and No. 24 Northern Iowa before defeating Central Michigan. The team later finished with a 27-9 record and a NCAA Tournament appearance.
- Four returners made new career high marks over the weekend. Senior Sarah Rogers had five attacks vs. Penn State while sophomore Heather Boyan had 23 attacks against Louisville. Junior Lindsay Spears posted four blocks vs. Morehead State while senior Jordyn Skinner set 23 digs against the Cardinals.
- The 2012 freshmen class earned playing time last weekend, as each played in all three matches. Rachel Engle played in all 10 sets while posting 13 digs, Noelle Langenkamp got in nine sets to tally six kills and three blocks, and Haley Bodway played five sets and recorded seven kills for a team-high .300 hitting percentage.
- The team had one of its best sets of the weekend in the second frame against Morehead State. The Lady Toppers put down 15 kills on 30 attempts with three errors to hit .400 for the set, as they were led by Skinner with six kills on nine attempts and one error.
- Defensively, the team's net game stepped up in set three vs. Morehead State to post six team blocks. Boyan along with Spears went up for three total blocks each in the set.
- The WKU program is 14 wins away from 700 all-time wins with the team record currently at 686-453. WKU is on pace to reach it, as it has had 12-straight season with 24 or more wins.