DENTON, Texas — The Western Kentucky University women's tennis team claimed a doubles win from the No. 2 position, but it would prove to be the only win of the day for the Lady Toppers as fifth-seeded ULM picked up the doubles point and three-straight singles wins to eliminate WKU from the Sun Belt Conference Championship, 4-0 on Thursday in Denton, Texas.
The loss ends WKU's season at 10-6-1, marking the fourth time in the last five years that the Lady Toppers have finished the season with a winning record. ULM (15-3) will now advance to take on fourth-seeded Denver in the quarterfinal round of the Sun Belt Conference Championship.
Sophomore Alex Crofford and freshman Carolina Barboza earned their 12th doubles win of the season and their eighth win in the last 10 matches by taking down Monica Winkle and Medy Blankvoort from No. 2 doubles, 8-2. Barboza and Crofford both end the season with winning records in singles play, with each earning nine wins in 2012 and were among the five Lady Toppers that ended the season with a winning record in singles play.
Sophomore Monta Reinfelde closed out another impressive season on the Hill, going 15-1 in singles play and 14-3 in doubles play, improving in both categories following a breakout freshman campaign in 2011. Reinfelde started the season 20-0 in doubles and singles combined from the No. 1 spot, with her only loss coming to conference foe Middle Tennessee in the 11th match of the season. Reinfelde's 20-0 start from the top doubles and singles spot is believed to be the best overall start from the No. 1 position in WKU tennis history. In just two years, Reifelde has recorded a 29-5 overall singles record, to along with a 24-10 mark in doubles.
The Lady Toppers do not have a senior on the 2012 roster, with Katrina Vucina and Katie DiTommaso being the only juniors on the team, as WKU saw 48 of its 54 singles wins come from either freshmen or sophomores this season.
The 2012 season also saw Lady Topper head coach Jeff True reach 110 career wins on the women's side, giving him 359 career coaching wins at the helm of both the men's and the women's tennis programs at WKU. The 2012 campaign was True's 12th season as the head coach of the Lady Toppers.
ULM 4, WKU Women's Tennis 0
Apr 19, 2012 at Denton, Texas
1. Sophie Rufyikiri (ULM) vs. Monta Reinfelde (WKUW) 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
2. Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Carolina Barboza (WKUW) 6-0, 6-2
3. Medy Blankvoort (ULM) def. Alex Crofford (WKUW) 6-0, 6-2
4. Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Katrina Vucina (WKUW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Monica Winkel (ULM) vs. Madeline Phillips (WKUW) 6-3, 3-1, unfinished
6. Vivian Polak (ULM) vs. Morgan Freeman (WKUW) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
1. Sophie Rufyikiri/Silvia Tumova (ULM) def. Monta Reinfelde/Madeline Phillips (WKUW) 8-5
2. Carolina Barboza/Alex Crofford (WKUW) def. Monica Winkel/Medy Blankvoort (ULM) 8-2
3. Vivian Polak/Ema Turudija (ULM) def. Katrina Vucina/Morgan Freeman (WKUW) 8-2
WKU Women's Tennis 10-6-1