Murfreesboro, Tenn. - Playing a regular season Sun Belt Conference opponent for the first time since the 2010 season, the WKU women's tennis team saw its three-match win streak come to a halt on Sunday, as Middle Tennessee dropped the Lady Toppers 7-0 at the Buck Bouldin Tennis Center in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
The match was the first for WKU since winning over Alabama A&M 16 days prior to Sunday's match. The time in-between matches is the longest for the Lady Toppers this season, who were scheduled to play Tennessee State on Thursday, but saw the match rained out.
Middle Tennessee opened play on Sunday with a sweep in doubles action, including a win at the top doubles spot over Monta Reinfelde and Madeline Phillips. The loss is the first of the season for the Lady Topper duo and ended Reinfelde's streak of 20 consecutive singles and doubles wins. Reinfelde started the 2012 season 20-0, which was good for the best recorded start at WKU from the top doubles and singles spot.
Reinfelde also fell for the first time this season in singles play, as Yuiri Nomoto of Middle Tennessee outlasted Reinfelde, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 from the No. 1 spot in the lineup. The loss ended Reinfelde's streak of 12 consecutive singles wins dating back to last season and pushed her 2012 record to 10-1, ending just two wins shy of tying Karina Ledaja's 2003 start of 12-0 from the No. 1 singles position. Reinfelde's last singles loss came on April 10, 2011.
Middle Tennessee (10-4) swept the singles portion of the match, winning all six in straight sets.
WKU (7-4) will return to action on Thursday, March 29, as both the Hilltoppers and the Lady Toppers will travel to Nashville, Tenn., to take on Tennessee State.
Middle Tennessee 7, Western Kentucky 0
Mar 25, 2012 at Murfreesboro, Tenn.
1. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) def. Monta Reinfelde (WKU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
2. Brand, Lexi (MT) def. Carolina Barboza (WKU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Alex Crofford (WKU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Katrina Vucina (WKU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Bigus, Marietta (MT) def. Madeline Phillips (WKU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Coffey, Taylor (MT) def. Morgan Freeman (WKU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Brand, Lexi/Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Monta Reinfelde/Madeline Phillips (WKU) 8-4
2. Bigus, Marietta/Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) def. Alex Crofford/Carolina Barboza (WKU) 8-1
3. Dachos, Alex/Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Katrina Vucina/Morgan Freeman (WKU) 8-2
Western Kentucky 7-4
Middle Tennessee 10-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,5,6,4,1)