BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - After going 4-1 during a stretch of five matches in five days, the WKU women's tennis team will return to action with a Thursday match against Tennessee State and a Sunday match with Middle Tennessee to close out the week.
WKU (7-3) has won seven of its last eight matches after starting the season 0-2 with back-to-back losses to Lipscomb and Belmont. The Lady Toppers fell to North Alabama in the second match of the Alabama road swing, but responded to win the final three matches of the trip.
WKU shut out Tennessee State in both meetings between the two squads in 2011. WKU and Middle Tennessee will meet for the first time since 2010, with the Lady Toppers looking for their first Sun Belt Conference win since the 1999 season.
WKU (7-3) at Tennessee State (0-1)
March 22, 2012 • 3:00 p.m. (CT)
Tennessee State University • Nashville, Tenn.
WKU vs. Tennessee State News and Notes
- The Lady Toppers have shut out Tennessee State in three consecutive matches dating back to the 2010 season. WKU has not given up a point to TSU since March 29, 2010, when the Lady Toppers picked up a 6-1 win in Nashville, Tenn.
- WKU shut out Tennessee State in back-to-back matches in 2011, winning 7-0 on March 20 and April 3. WKU swept the singles and the doubles portion of both matches, winning all singles in straight sets.
- WKU has dropped three in a row in Nashville, Tenn., dating back to the end of the 2011 season. The Lady Toppers fell earlier this season in Nashville to Lipscomb and Belmont. WKU’s last win in Nashville came on April 3, 2011 against Tennessee State.
- The Lady Toppers will look to extend their current win streak to four matches, which would tie a season high. WKU has currently won seven of eight after starting the season 0-2. The Lady Toppers rattled off six in a row last season en route to a 13-7 season.
WKU (7-3) at Middle Tennessee (9-4)
March 25, 2012 • 3:00 p.m. (CT)
Buck Bouldin Tennis Center • Murfreesboro, Tenn.
WKU vs. Middle Tennessee News and Notes
- WKU will face a Sun Belt Conference foe in the regular season for the first time since the 2010 season when the Lady Toppers took on Middle Tennessee in Murfreesboro.
- WKU and Middle Tennessee last met on April 18, 2010 in Murfreesboro, Tenn. The Blue Raiders won the match 7-0 behind a sweep in doubles and singles play. Junior Katrina Vucina is the only current Lady Topper that was around for the 2010 match, playing from the No. 1 singles position as a freshman.
- WKU will be looking to end a lengthy drought against members of the Sun Belt Conference. The Lady Toppers last win over a Sun Belt school was a 5-2 win over New Orleans in 1999.
WKU Individual News and Notes
- WKU sophomore Monta Reinfelde improved to 10-0 in both singles and doubles play after going undefeated during a five-match road swing throughout the state of Alabama. Reinfelde is now 20-0 overall, which is believed to be the best doubles and singles combined start from the No. 1 position in WKU history. Reinfelde’s 10-0 singles start is the best start since 2004, when Karina Ledaja went 12-0.
- Reinfelde’s 10-0 start in singles play puts the sophomore just one win away from 25 singles victories for her career. Reinfelde is currently 24-4 in 28 career matches.
- After going a combined 10-0 in singles and doubles play in Alabama, Monta Reinfelde picked up her second Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week award of the season. Reinfelde’s February 15 award was the first player of the week honor for a Lady Topper since Inese Zverge picked up the award in 1999.
- Freshman Madeline Phillips and sophomore Monta Reinfelde have proved to be quite a one-two punch at the top of the WKU doubles lineup, as the duo has gone a perfect 9-0 since being paired together on February 11. Phillips has also won four singles in a row to even her 2012 record at 5-5.
- WKU freshman Carolina Barboza has thrived from the No. 2 singles position in 2012, as she has won six of her last seven singles from the No. 2 spot — all six resulting in Lady Topper wins.
- WKU junior Katrina Vucina saw her first action of the 2012 season in Alabama, going 3-2 in singles play, giving her 22 singles wins for her career. She also went a perfect 2-0 in doubles play with teammate Morgan Freeman.
- Four different Lady Toppers have won two or singles in a row, with five different players with an overall singles record of .500 or better. Outside of Monta Reinfelde, freshman Madeline Phillips has won four singles in a row, followed by Morgan Freeman with three-straight wins and Alex Crofford with two in a row.
- After winning six singles from the No. 6 position in 2011, sophomore Morgan Freeman has moved up in the lineup to the No. 5 spot. Freeman picked up her first singles win of the season against Lindsey Wilson, winning 6-2, 6-3 over Anna Gaprindashvili.
- WKU has used six different lineups in 2012, including four different combinations during a five-match swing into Alabama. The Lady Toppers went 4-1 on that trip.