COLUMBIA, Ky. -- The WKU men's tennis team picked up a win at the No. 1 doubles spot, but it would prove to be the only Hilltopper win on the day, as Lindsey Wilson swept all six singles and took two of the three doubles in a 7-0 win on Saturday in Columbia, Ky.
The doubles tandem of Craig Kirchgessner and Lance Freeman proved to be the bright spot for the Hilltoppers, as the duo picked up an 8-4 win over Fernando Bogago and Pablo Vilches of Lindsey Wilson. The win was the first Hilltopper doubles win of the 2012 season.
A pair of Hilltoppers made their 2012 debuts on Saturday, as junior Bobby Whitmer and sophomore Kaleb Ball saw action from the No.5 and the No. 6 singles position, respectively. Ball also played from the No. 2 doubles spot, teaming with J.T. Closi, while Whitmer played from No. 3 doubles with senior Arul Selvan.
Freshman J.T. Closi moved up in the Hilltopper lineup, playing from the No. 1 singles position for the first time in his career. Closi has seen action in all three matches this season.
The win for Lindsey Wilson gives the Blue Raiders six consecutive victories over the Hilltoppers and lead the all-time series between the two programs, 6-2.
WKU (0-3) has played all matches on the road to start the 2012 season, but will return to Bowling Green for the home opener on March 2 after a road match with Murray State on February 25.
The Hilltoppers matchup with the Racers will be the next scheduled match for WKU after Sunday's match with Morehead State was cancelled.
Lindsey Wilson 7, WKU 0
1. Fernando Bogajo (LWC) def. J.T. Closi (WKU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Fabricio Morales (LWC) def. Craig Kirchgessner (WKU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Pablo Vilches (LWC) def. Lance Freeman (WKU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Victor Saez (LWC) def. Arul Selvan (WKU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Gilles Cornelis (LWC) def. Robert Whitmer (WKU) 7-5, 7-5
6. Marlon Dal Pont (LWC) def. Kaleb Ball (WKU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Fabricio Morales/Gilles Cornelis (LWC) def. J.T. Closi/Kaleb Ball (WKU) 8-3