LEBANON, Tenn. — The WKU men's tennis team ran into a red-hot Cumberland University squad on Monday in Lebanon, Tenn., as the undefeated Bulldogs took all six singles and all three doubles en route to a 7-0 win over the Hilltoppers.
The win was the third in a row for Cumberland over WKU and evens the all-time series between the two programs at nine wins apiece.
Junior Lance Freeman saw his singles win streak end at four, as Freeman fell to Pedro Rodrigues from the No. 3 singles spot on Monday. Freeman currently sits just two wins shy of the 30-win plateau for his career. Monday was also Freeman's 50th career start at WKU, trailing only Arul Selvan's 66 career starts among current Hilltoppers.
Senior Craig Kirchgessner also saw his win streak come to a close on Monday, falling 6-3, 6-2 to Evan Sanna from the No. 4 position in the WKU lineup. Kirchgessner had won three-straight coming into the match.
Monday's match kicked off a busy final week of the regular season for WKU tennis, as both the WKU men's and women's teams will travel to take on Campbellsville on Thursday and then to Southern Indiana on Friday. The Hilltoppers and Lady Toppers will close out the regular season with a home match against North Alabama on Sunday, before the Sun Belt Conference Tournament begins on April 19.
Cumberland University 7, WKU Men's Tennis 0
April 09, 2012 at Lebanon, Tenn.
1. Antonio Manuel Marcelo (CU) def. Josh Smith (WKU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Na'im Azhar (CU) def. Arul Selvan (WKU) 6-0, 7-5
3. Pedro Rodrigues (CU) def. Lance Freeman (WKU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Evan Sanna (CU) def. Craig Kirchgessner (WKU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Andres Burgos (CU) def. Andrew Fish (WKU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Cristhian Hernandez (CU) def. Brody Freeman (WKU) 6-0, 6-4
1. Antonio Manuel Marce/Evan Sanna (CU) def. Lance Freeman/Craig Kirchgessner (WKU) 8-5
2. Na'im Azhar/Jeremy Fleming (CU) def. Josh Smith/Kaleb Ball (WKU) 8-4
3. Pedro Rodrigues/Andres Burgos (CU) def. Robert Whitmer/Andrew Fish (WKU) 8-4